Wednesday 3 September 2014

Cat hat - Peg + Cat

September first is my neice's birthday.  Every year, I nearly forget to send a gift (and some have been late) because we head to the cottage the week before.  This year, I'm happy to say, I was more prepared.  I'm proud to say the gift not only arrived on time but I managed to make it as well!

pbskids.org
My niece loves the show Peg + Cat.  She often gets her dad to pretend play Peg + Cat.  She gets to be Peg (the girl) and her dad is Cat (you can probably guess what cat is) ;)  After creating the Benjamin Bunny hat for a customer I had the bright idea of making a hat from the show for my niece Violet.  And the Cat hat was born!

I decided to crochet the hat as I felt I could more easily create the oval eyes in crochet than in knitting.  At least with my skills.  I started with a generic crochet hat pattern that I had.  I then created two uneven oval eyes, round pupils, and ears from my own knowledge of crochet stitches.  I must admit I was proud of myself.  I didn't create anything wild and crazy but it is a start to creating my own designs.  I think it turned out pretty well.

Finished hat
My daughter modeling the hat
My niece lives in Atlanta, Georgia so it is a bit warmer there than here in Ontario.  In the winter, it gets cool enough that a hat can be useful some days so I figured it was a good gift.  She loved it so much she put it on right away and wore it even though it was a warm August day.  Thank you to my sister-in-law for the great photos of Violet in her new hat!


My two neices.  I think Violet's sister  needs a hat too.
Look how sad she is ;)
Ahhh...  Relaxing!





No comments :

Post a Comment