Saturday 25 October 2014

Creativ Festival

Mmmmm.  Yarny fibery goodness.

Last year I became aware of the Creativ Festival.  This is a show meant for crafters and is a great place to check out crafting materials for sewing, quilting, beading, needlework and knit and crochet.   

I saw it online last year but wasn't sure whether it would be worth my time to travel into Toronto and attend the show.  It seemed there was some yarn involved but could primarily be sewing and quilting.  Sewing is something I also enjoy, but not enough to make going to the show worthwhile.  I also didn't have anyone to go with (insert sad Laura).  I am not against going to these types of shows alone.  Let's face it, it's more fun to go with someone.

Lovin' the fabric!
This year it worked out perfectly.  My friend and fellow crafter Aimee was available to go to the show.  She sews up headbands, belts and other cool accessories.  In the end I was very glad I went.  While we didn't take part in any of the classes or talks, we did enjoy walking through the exhibits checking out ideas and materials.  Aimee picked up a selection of cool fabrics.  While I was primarily out for the yarn, I also found some fabric for myself.  This little piece of yumminess will become an overlay for my table at craft shows.

There were a few booths selling the uber bulky weight yarn I had first come across on Pinterest.  There was Alpaca and Merino wool available.  Unfortunately, it will still way out of my budget.  As I wiped the drool away (and the tears) I left the yarn behind.  Check out this super comfy looking blanket made from this yarn.  Maybe someday it will be mine.

Super awesome blanket.  I wish we had
touch-o-vision so you could feel how soft it was!
Sorry dear wool - you can't come home with me today (sniff)






























I also found some creative and unusual uses for yarn.

Check out this creation by the Crochet Crowd

Yarn bombed bike!

While I was worried about how many choices of yarn there would be, I didn't need to be.  There were all kinds of yarns available.  It ranged from the very expensive yarn I just mentioned above to acrylic yarns that were more reasonably priced.  



Love the colours! This is not your acrylic yarn :)


Some yarn bling

When I attend shows like this, I'm usually looking for something that I wouldn't normally buy or find in my typical yarn shopping venues.  It is like a treat for me.  I managed to find a few that I picked up.  I don't have any particular projects planned but am thinking a hat, scarf, shawl.  They could all work.  


Ta Da!  My new yarn for the stash!  Again, I wish you could feel the softness.

I didn't attend the KW knitter show this year as I was volunteering at an early morning race and my parents were then in town.  This is another great place to find new and amazing yarn.  I was so happy to be able to attend the show today.  It was totally worth it and I would suggest this show to any person who enjoys crafting with any kind of fiber.

The show is on all weekend so if you're interested in going, follow the link at the top and check out the show.  

Cheers!
Laura

No comments :

Post a Comment