Sunday 17 August 2014

Benjamin bunny hat

The beloved character from the Peter Rabbit series, Benjamin Bunny, is back.  He has been updated but still as loveable as ever.  A friend asked me if I could knit a hat like Benjamin's for her young daughter who loves this fun little guy.  Of course I said!  I've been wanting to move away from strictly following patterns and this was the perfect opportunity.  That and I can't wait to see her fact when she opens the package!


If you're interested in making one for a little someone in your life, I've included the instructions below.  This is my first time posting instructions for use by others so please provide feedback if something doesn't seem to make sense.

Benjamin Bunny Toddler Hat

Aran or worsted weight (4) acrylic yarn used.  I apologize, I didn't do a swatch to give gauge.

Finished size 17 inches around (Stretches easily to 20 inches)

Size 8 double points

Cast On (CO)  80

You may want to add a stitch marker to mark the beginning of the rows

Body of hat

*K2, P2* Repeat to end
Continue with K2, P2 until ribbing measures 2.5 inches.  

K all stitches until hat measures 6.5 inches from beginning of work.

Decrease for top of hat

Row 1: *K7, K2tog* repeat to end (8 times)
Row 2:  K all stitches
Row 3: *K6, K2tog* repeat to end
Row 4:  K all stitches
Row 5: *K5, K2tog* repeat to end
Row 6:  K all stichtes
Row 7: *K4, K2tog" repeat to end
Row 8:  K all stitches
Row 9: *K3, K2tog* repeat to end
Row 10: K all stitches
Row 11: *K2, K2tog* repeat to end
Row 12:  K all stitches
Row 13: *K2tog* repeat to end (8 stitches)

Break yarn and pul through loops.  Bind off.

Earflaps

CO 18 stitches

Rows 1-11: Stockinette stitch (Purl odd rows and knit even rows)
Row 12: K2tog, K 14, K2tog
Row 13: Purl
Row 14: K2tog, K12, K2tog
Row 15: Purl
Row 16: K2tog, K10, K2tog
Row 17: Purl
Row 18: K2tog, K8, K2tog
Row 19: Purl
Row 20: K2tog, K6, K2tog
Row 21: Purl
Row 22: K2tog, K4, K2tog
Row 23: Purl
Row 24: K2tog, K2, K2tog
Row 25: Purl
Row 26: Knit 
Row 27: Bind off

These make longer earflaps than a typical hat.  As you see from the photo, Benjamin's have the same look.  

I hope your enjoy my version of the Benjamin Bunny hat.  I'm sure the little one you're creating it for will too.

Keep being awesome!
Laura

10 comments :

  1. You are amazing! What a gorgeous hat! A special gift for a special little someone. Best of luck on this new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christa (blushing). It was fun to do, within my skill set, and is great to see how much she loves the hat. She's worn it every day since... probably because it was from her favourite bunny himself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am so looking forward to knitting a couple of these little bunny hats for my two beautiful Grandsons, but my knitting skills aren't great and I don't see the type of wool used mentioned 2ply, 3ply, 4ply ?? And from my recollection that was important to get the tension and size right. Many thanks Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,

      I apologize for not including the weight. It was aran or worsted (4) weight yarn. I just used acrylic. You're correct that the weight of the yarn will make a difference in tension. Also, how loosely or tightly you knit. I should have done a swatch to include in the pattern. I didn't think to do that until now. Hopefully it works out for you. Feel free to share your finished product.

      Laura

      Delete
  4. Hi again Laura, my sincerest apologies, when I printed off the pattern to take with me to the shop, the printer for whatever reason hadn't included the ply info, which I clearly see now is right at the top of the page. These hats look just cute, buying the wool tomorrow - thank you again - Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,
    I'm knitting this hat for my nephew, it looks perfect he is a big Benjamin Bunny fan. Would you mind confirming what size needles you used? Was it size 8 US, which seems to be 5mm, or UK/Canadian size 8 which is 4mm? Thank you very much. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seen a post in knitting paradise someone looking for this i downloaded the pattern and can't wait to start knitting thank you for sharing the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a special way to attach the ear flaps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chunky material fits perfectly into ones own look and feel, too, so that one will be able to have a style that is all things you. You will be able to choose from a variety of colours here so that you can get the design that you’re looking for, custom bobble beanies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are there any tips when attaching earflaps please thanks Sheila

    ReplyDelete