Saturday 9 August 2014

Location, location, location

Yesterday I took part in the first annual car show and vendor sale in Elmira.  Every year the local businesses put on a sidewalk sale.  This year, in an attempt to bring more people to downtown, they also added a car show with entertainment on Friday evening and vendors for the 3 days of the sale.  Given it is the first year, setting up as a vendor was free.  I figured why not?!  Even if I sold very little, or nothing at all, I was out for exposure.

Originally I didn't think I could make the car show on Friday.  I was happily surprised to have my calendar open up.  It seemed to me the car show event would bring the most people.  And it did!  The car show was a success for the first year with 120 cars displayed and quite a crowd.  Unfortunately, that crowd stayed primarily in the middle of the street occasionally leaving to head towards retail stores to check out the deals.  And I wasn't near a retail store.  

Great to see a good turn out!

They had placed me in front of the bank hoping to draw people further down the street.  It was a great thought but perhaps would have been better with more than little ol' me and my 6 foot table which looked tiny compared to the front of the bank.
Pretty quiet down my way :)

In the end, I did get a few people who came by and sold a few items. It isn't an experience I regret in the least but I did choose not to head back on Saturday.  The experience highlighted the importance of location.  

The experience also gave me a chance to look at my set-up and re-evaluate.  Just before the show I purchased some vintage suitcases which I love and intend to reuse again.  I would like to look at adding some additional layers and height to the display.  As well as remember my table cloth next time :)

Hmmm.  Needs some work

Off to Pinterest I go for some craft show booth display ideas!  I see some blog posts on creating craft show displays in the future.

Keep being awesome!
Laura


Just a couple of the cars at the show



2 comments :

  1. I think your display looks awesome! Glad you sold some things too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support. I'm excited to add to my display for the Wellesley Apple Butter and Cheese festival in September. Just have to find time to finish my painting! :)

    ReplyDelete